Support for ScriptCS

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Edited Sep 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM
This is a very cool plugin!

I think the logical next step would be if you added support for "scriptcs", maybe in form of turning on "scriptcs Mode". scriptct allows you compile and run C# code using any text editor (it uses Roslyn behind the scenes to compile and run your script). Right now, all that's missing from the scriptcs equation (IMO) is Intellisense.

scriptcs files are very similar to regular .cs files, but they have a .csx extension. One big difference between scriptcs and typical C# code is that scriptcs allows you to write code that is not enclosed in a class or even a method. Basically can you just add some "using" statements and then start declaring variables and writing code immediately. I tried your plugin to edit a scriptcs .csx file, and it partially worked. However, it was unable to resolve Intellisense method names, and I think that may be because my .csx file has code that is not enclosed within a namespace, class or method block.

In summary, I think that your project would benefit in terms of recognition and usefulness if you were to augment it in order to take advantage of what appears to be an unfilled niche.

Jordan
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Edited Sep 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Hi Jordan,

CS-Script and ScripCs are very different creatures. They operate in the same problem domain and they target almost the same use-cases. However implementation wise they follow a completely different philosophy and in result deliver dramatically different user experience. In a way it is similar to Java and .Net combination. Similar reasons for the existence but very different attitude. One is supported by Visual Studio another one is not.

Thus because of such strong differences I do not see any practical value in mixing up CS-Script and ScriptCs. Particularly I do not see any ScriptCs feature that in has no equivalent in CS-Script (correct me if I am wrong). I cannot even integrate ScriptCs with CS-Script (like I did with Mono compiler-as-service) as it does not bring any benefit for the user.

BTW CS-Script already allows class-less scripts for the last ~8 years. Just do not forget to check "Classless script" checkbox when you create the script.

Regards,
Oleg